Pages

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Shoaib Akhtar Vows To Be Fit Enough to Play In 2011 World Cup

Karachi: Pakistan fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar has vowed to make himself fit enough to be considered for the squad for the 2011 World Cup, despite persistent injury problems.

“I believe I still got three to four years international cricket left in me. I have fully gained my fitness and looking forward to serve the country,” the Daily Times quoted him as telling reporters at the Karachi National Stadium.

Akhtar, who is currently leading the Federal Areas in the Pentangular Cup, said that for bowlers like him, crossing the barrier always involved taking chances with injuries.

He cited the examples of great fast bowlers like Wasim Akram, Waqar Younus, Brett Lee and Ian Bishop to establish his case.

Shoaib claimed that he had worked very hard on his fitness and cut down his weight to around 15 kilos.

“I am now much stronger. But I needed some matches to regain my rhythm,” he said.

Shoaib, 33, has taken 219 wickets in 138 ODIs, and said his ambition is to complete 400 wickets in One-day Internationals.

He said Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) officials are treating him well and selectors are using him with planning to cut the burden on him to extend his career. (ANI)


this news published by www.apakistannews.com