Pages

Friday, December 19, 2008

Vidya is scared!

I was shooting in Wai when I got a call informing about some blasts in Mumbai, so I stayed back at Panchgani.



And I was aghast when I switched on the TV and saw what had really happened. I just sat there in disbelief, numb with shock, and it took a while for it all to sink in. Mumbai has been struck before, but this was like they almost entered our homes, sending across a deafening message that just shook everyone up. And it was even more sickening to see the people in power get into their blame-games. But I feel that the incident has caused a stir amongst the people and there has been a collective awakening of the social conscience, something that should have taken place long back.

The responsibility lies with us and instead of blaming the politicians we need to realise that it’s us who have to make the people in power accountable. It’s about time that our democracy becomes what it’s meant to be: of the people, by the people and for the people. The change will not be overnight, but people seem to have taken the first step towards it and that’s a good sign. I strongly believe that powers should be extricated from the political parties and passed onto an apolitical independent governing body. We Indians have always been a tolerant and compassionate lot, and let’s not allow a few politicians to change us or control us in the name of caste, religion or language. This should be a war against terrorism, not against a country or religion.


this news published by www.apakistannews.com