Pages

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Ranatunga: Tendulkar one of most well-behaved cricketers

Adam Gilchrist might have called Sachin Tendulkar a “bad sport” but for former Sri Lanka captain Arjuna Ranatunga the Indian batting maestro is one of the best well behaved cricketers he had played with.

“He (Tendulkar) was one of the nicest guys I played cricket with. The thing I admired of him was the commitment for the game. I am very glad that he has left behind (the issue),” Ranatunga told the media.

“I have not seen anyone who is so committed to cricket. Actually I learnt a lot from him. I was not committed enough for my batting. The result shows. I think he (Tendulkar) is a role model for any young cricketer,” Ranatunga said.

Ranatunga, now the Chairman of Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC), said Tendulkar deserved to become Test cricket’s highest run-getter surpassing West Indian great Brian Lara.

“I think he (Tendulkar) deserves to do that because of the commitment. He is one of the greatest cricketers I have played cricket with.”

Ranatunga feels that Tendulkar can easily play a couple of years of cricket and he should be given the luxury to decide when to hang his boots.

“I still feel he can easily play a couple of years. I think the important thing is he has to take care of his injuries. When you are getting older you are getting into all these issues.

“But he is still fit enough to play cricket. Even Sourav Ganguly, he is still getting runs. I think there will be a big vacuum when the ‘fab four’ goes,” Ranatunga said.

“Only Sachin should decide (on his retirement). If he feels that he is not enjoying the game he should announce his retirement,” he added.

(Agencies)

( This post is from an independent writer. The opinions and views expressed herein are those of the author and are not endorsed by APakistanNews.Com.)




news by apakistannews.com